Monday, February 15, 2010

BACK FROM A NIGHT OUT


We didn't go out for dinner yesterday for Valentine's day, for several reasons. One, that Sunday is already a busy day while Monday is my day off, so better to enjoy a relaxing meal on a day when you're already pretty relaxed yourself.

One other reason is that we generally protest the way restaurants exploit customers on February 14th by hiding the regular menus and offering a more limited selection at double the price. So we eat out the day before or the day after.

Eating out is intimidating to some people who are trying to maintain a healthier lifestyle, but there's no reason why it should be.

I ate well tonight, but still stayed on program. Here are a few keys -

1. I looked into the Points value of menu items before I left home.

2. I decided what I would be ordering and what I would be drinking way before entering The Curry Club.

3. I recognized that in addition to what remained of my daily Points allowance, I had up to 35 flexible Points for the week to play with.

4. I ate slowly and enjoyed the occasion.

5. I stopped eating when I had had enough and did not bring home the uneaten food.

6. I had an excellent meal with the woman I've spent 42 Valentine's Days with, ate a substantial amount of my flexible Points, but am still ending the day on program.

Planning is always the key.