Monday, July 14, 2008

BREAKING THE BARRIER

I didn't get to run the Bellport Clipper yesterday as some things came up I had to deal with and was fully occupied well into the evening. I was looking forward to the 5K (3.1 miles) event as it's a flat, picturesque run through the town and down to the marina.

I struggled with it last year as it was very hot and humid, also probably because by 5.00 pm on a Sunday I am definitely not at my sharpest since weekends are so busy.

I can do 3 miles in 24 minutes on the treadmill, though I generally take it a bit steadier and turn in 28 or 29 minutes. Road running is another world, but nonetheless I was disappointed with a time of 33 minutes last year in Bellport.

I was hoping to get closer to 30 minutes yesterday, but since I didn't run, I'm going to work on improving my time by doing a bit more road running this week instead of heading to the gym.

I'll keep you posted!