Friday, April 24, 2009

MIXING IT UP

I generally run on a treadmill at the gym, mixing it with some eliptical training lately just to keep it interesting, but since it was sunny this morning and marginally warmer I decided to run outdoors. Soon it will get too hot for that.

Several years ago I worked out this simple route around an extension of the block I live on. It's 1.6 miles, so depending on how much time I had, I would do between two and four laps. I've run those roads so much that I now know every blade of grass by name - to say I'm bored is an understatement.

Enter - www.mapmyrun.com

My outdoor running has been totally changed by this website that helps me chart different courses and tells me exactly how far they are. Today I opted for a new 4.8 miles route, switched on my iPod and had a good run in the sun.

You have to keep it interesting and thanks to the good folks behind mapmyrun, running around the block is a thing of the past!