Wednesday, April 15, 2009

WHAT'S THAT YOU'RE EATING

If you've been coming here for days now and looking for my latest ramblings, I do apologize. It really has been a busy several days.

Last week I was asking my WW members what are some of the things that have become second nature nowadays that they never thought of doing before. There were some interesting answers, like not ordering an appetizer in a restaurant, drinking skimmed milk, asking for dressing on the side.

One response that I readily identified with was, reading the nutrition facts on food. There's a wealth of information in that small printed box on the packaging.

I have come to learn that you don't tell how healthy a product is by what it says on the front in big, bold letters, like "Low fat", "High fiber" or "Good for your heart." The real dirt on what's being dished up is in the small print on the back.

Low fat means nothing unless I know what you're comparing it to and the truth is that it is often not low enough, nor is the fiber content high enough, the sodium level healthy enough or the overall calorie value anything like I would want to digest on that one small item.

I'm fascinated by the fact that so many things that seem healthy really are not.

Be sure to get the facts, the whole facts and nothing but the facts.