Sunday, October 11, 2009

FATTY BELTBUCKLES


There's no question that eating out can be tempting and challenging too. A few weeks ago I got a great coupon on www.restaurant.com that cost me $20 and saved me $100 off the bill at Fatty Beltbuckles in Rocky Point.

So I used it tonight when I went out to eat with a bunch of guys from the church that I wanted to thank for their ongoing help.

The trouble is the name of the place itself suggests anyone wanting to eat healthy could be in serious difficulty and that was certainly the case.

It's a barbecue joint with outstanding food and huge portions, yet I think I escaped relatively unscathed.

We ordered a couple of assorted appetizer platters for the table and I avoided all of that except for a couple of small slices of fried pickles that were just begging to be tasted. Ordering an entree was not too difficult as I had already checked out the menu online and decided on the Tequila Lime Tilapia.

I was told the fish was broiled, so I asked for that to be done with very little butter and promised the waitress I would not complain if it seemed on the dry side. Unfortunately it was served swimming in sauce, but I managed to carefully extricate the tilapia from it as I ate it with a side salad.

It was a good evening. We talked a lot, laughed a lot and I came away fairly satisfied with my choices in an environment where it would have been very easy to self-destruct,