Sunday, October 25, 2009

THE LANGUAGE OF COFFEE


I remember the day when you went into a coffee shop and ordered your coffee in the simplest of fashions. You approached the counter and said - Coffee please.

But of course that is way too simple for the 21st Century. Nowadays you have to master a whole new language and if you don't get the words grande non-fat latte in the right order a barrista will most certainly correct your inadequacies.

Coming to Australia, I discovered that there is a whole new coffee language going on down here, to accompany the well know southern hemisphere vocabulary, comprising words like G'day, mate and sheilas.

Lattes seem to be very popular and if you don't want a latte, the common form of daily caffeine seems to be ordering a flat white coffee, or in my case a skinny flat white coffee. The problem for me was that still consists mainly of milk.

So one day I bravely inquired how one gets a simple cup of coffee and was delighted to learn that I just need to ask for a long black coffee with skinny milk on the side.

Makes me long for the days of Coffee please!