Wednesday, October 21, 2009

VISITING OZ


I'm in Australia just now, spending a few days over here with family, preparing for my niece's wedding on Saturday. People often ask we how I keep focused on a healthy lifestyle while I'm traveling, so here's what I'm doing on this trip.

+ I brought my running gear and am making a point of running every morning, which is not difficult as I'm awake very early as I readjust to the 15 hours time difference. Worked out a 5 miles route that works pretty well for me.

+ I allowed myself one total treat. I was told that the beer battered flathead fish is outrageous, so I had it the first night here, with fries. I doubt if there's a lot that will tempt me because it's not all that different from what we get at home. Menus seem pretty Americanized to me. Allowing yourself an indulgence is a real approach.

+ We went shopping as soon as we arrived and bought some essentials - skim milk, oatmeal, whole grain bread.

+ Where there isn't too much choice, I simply watch the size of the portions. Last night we ate dinner in a restaurant with a limited menu, none of which looked really helpful. So I made the wisest possible choice and ate till I was satisfied.

+ I remember that a trip is not all about food. It's about meeting up with family, celebrating a very special event and seeing a country I have never been in before.

+ I remember the scale will await me when I get home!