Monday, July 30, 2007

RUNNING IN THE RAIN

There was a terrific storm yesterday afternoon that delayed the start of the 4 Mile Race I had registered for. When it came time to hit the road, most of the moisture had passed, but there was still the odd spot or two as we made our way around the course.

I must admit that I did wonder in between gasps for air, what deficinecy in my makeup meant that I had to do this to prove something for myself.

I asked mys elf several times why I was doing this and the best answer I could come up with was that I was doing it because I could.

As I've said before, the though of me running anywhere would have been absurd a couple of years ago - but times have changed!

Now I was no threat to any of the serious runners. In fact since most of the casual competitors seem to have opted for staying where it was dry, the end of the field of competitors was only fifteen minutes or so behind me.

But I did the run, clocked 45 minutes and change and was cheered on by my terrific family. I think I'll put some more roadwork in over the next few weeks in preparation for the big one in September - the 10K (6.2 miles) Cow Harbor Race.