Monday, April 14, 2008

DEALING WITH TEMPTATION

Twenty years ago this month, I visited the USA for the very first time, although it would be almost two years before I got to New York. Visiting the country several times a year over the next few years, it was always exciting, traveling to new places, enjoying different experiences and experiencing all the foods I had never tasted before.

When I first came to Long Island in 1986, I also visited Brooklyn and was introduced to the delights at Junior's in Flatbush. I had never tasted cheesecake like that before - the British stuff was way different and absolutely inferior. I was spoiled for anything other than New York style cheesecake and over the next several years I ate there whenever I was in Brooklyn.

Last night Gill and I went to a concert in Manhattan. Arriving early, we were not totally sure where we would eat, until we spied Junior's between 44th & 45th Streets and Broadway.

I had not tasted their cheesecake in almost twenty years. So now, what would I do? (Cheesecake is my favorite dessert)

Well, the plus side is that there were eight of us eating dinner together, four of whom are Weightwatchers and three of whom are in my Saturday groups. So their presence helped keep me honest!

I ordered grilled chicken salad, which was totally core and then ordered raspberry cheesecake - and four forks. I'll admit that I ate more than the others, but we took what we wanted and still sent a good one third of the slice back.

Junior's cheesecake was every bit as good as I remembered. But I also recalled that it's the taste of the first couple of mouthfuls that makes the maximum impact. So after them, I stopped.

I left there happy!

Am I bragging? Sure I am, it was a victory!!!