Friday, May 22, 2009

THAT WAS TOUGH

Last night we got back from seven days in the UK, mainly for a family wedding, but also to visit with a lot more family and friends too while we were there.

I had a great time, but it was certainly a challenging week.

For one thing, it rained every single day - not necessarily all day, but on and off for varying periods throughout the whole of our stay. So running was difficult and the challenges with the weather were compounded by an irregular schedule. I only exercised three times, but each time was good.

The first was last Friday when I took a late afternoon run right through the center of historic Stratford-Upon-Avon, passing the house where William Shakespeare lived as bemused tourists looked on, wondering what this old man's problem was.

Then on Tuesday morning I ran with an old friend from college days, doing the circuit of a man-made lake, situated where there was an open cast coal mine when I lived nearby over 30 years ago. Neither of us would have entertained the though of running when we were students.

Wednesday was a nostalgic circuit of the area we lived in from 1972-76. I weighed over 320lb in those days, so I certainly didn't run anywhere at all.

To be honest, I did better with the exercise than I did facing food selections that I seldom see. I ate way too much the first half of the trip, before getting a grip of things after the weekend. So I'm up 2lb, which could be worse, but is enough to provoke me to be very disciplined over the next week or two.