Monday, January 7, 2008

NEW FOODS

I got an email on Saturday from a new member of one of my Saturday WW groups, asking if I knew where she could buy polenta - not the dry stuff you mix yourself, but the prepared version you buy refrigerated in a roll.

I replied that I didn't know where she could find it, but I would investigate.

What I didn't tell her at that point was I had never heard of polenta in my life and had to google it to discover what the heck she was talking about. If I interpreted what I read correctly, polenta is an Italian version of grits, made from cornmeal, which may explain why I had never encountered it - I don't eat grits!

However ...

While picking up a few things at our local Best Yet supermarket yesterday, I spotted some rolls of yellow stuff in the deli section and decided to investigate. You guessed, voila! Glorious polenta, which I looked at, read the nutritional value label and then promptly put back in the display case.

No Offense to my Italian frfiends, but some things are just not part of my cultural heritage!!!!

Oh, and I emailed our new member to let her know where she could stock up and enjoy!