Saturday, January 19, 2008

TWO WORLDS

Saturday is a very full day. I leave home around 6.50am, rush home to change around 2.00 and finally get back to stay sometime between 5.00 and 5.30.

What's fascinating is that my day is split between two totally different groups of people, both of whom have food issues, though the problems are certainly nowhere near the same.

Our Saturday WW groups continue to thrive. We almost made triple digits for our 9.30 meeting today, but we fell one short at 99 members. Let's see what happens next week!

This afternoon, as I have done for the past thirteen years, I spent time serving hot meals to people in need. Our church's mobile soup kitchen serves around 40 people in and around Patchogue who live in rooming houses or in makeshift tents in the woods. It's pretty amazing to think of living outside in this weather, but in today's economic climate some people just can't make it. So we're privileged to help them.

We had quite the dinner for them today - meatball heros, pasta, garlic bread, fruit and cake. I love the fact that we hand out dinners I'd be more than happy to eat myself. We don't serve junk!

Saturday mornings I endeavor to encourage our WW members towards their goals and Saturday afternoons I try to remind people having a tough time that they really do matter.

Great day - I'm a blessed man.