Monday, June 16, 2008

IN TRAINING


I run quite a distance in the course of a normal (good) week, but go nowhere as all my activity is on a treadmill or an elyptical trainer.


All that is about to change as I contemplate at least a couple of summer races, the first of which will be the 5K (3.1 miles) Bellport Clipper on Sunday July 13th. Running on the road is quite different from covering multiple miles on a treadmill, so I plan to get outside more over the next few weeks.


I was staggered last year that I failed to break 30 minutes to cover the Bellport course, as I do the same distance in the gym in 25 minutes. Sunday afternoons may not be the best time for me, since the mornings are very busy and last July's temperatures in the upper 80's with high humidity certainly were not in my favor.


Be that as it may, I'll be looking to improve this year.


Time for some serious preparation!