Monday, August 24, 2009

CHANGING IT UP

It was pretty clear to me four and a half years ago that I couldn't achieve my weight loss goal merely by adopting a sensible approach to food. There were other factors that would help me, one of which was increasing my activity.

So I joined a gym and started by walking one mile at 3mph. It only took me 20 minutes and may not sound much, but it was more movement than I had been used to and it was a workout when I was carrying over 330 every time I got on the treadmill.

As my weight decreased, my activity needed to increase, so I steadily upped both time and intensity, until I was running 6 miles a day, seven days a week.

My life doesn't allow me to get to the gym seven days a week nowadays, so I aim for five and sometimes hit six, making Monday morning more intense to make up for the missed day/days. I do 10 miles on Mondays, but in all honesty seem to have become totally bored with it and have cut my workouta little short the past couple of weeks.

Today I made a simple change that made things a lot easier - I changed my pace. Instead of walking for 2 minutes at 4mph and then running for 3 minutes at 7.5mh, I pulled my pace way back to 5.5mph and kept that as a steady pace.

Okay, it took me marginally longer to cover the 10 miles, but I did it and remembered that change is an important feature in a regular routine.

So if you're getting bored, change something, but whatever you do keep moving.