Friday, August 14, 2009

DINING OUT EXPERIENCES

It's amazing how many WW members I've come across who have an unhealthy approach to dining out. On the one hand there are those who say they never do, because they can't deal with it - bad move, because restaurant experiences are a part of life and you have to learn to master them.

On the other end of the spectrum there are members who just throw caution to the wind every time a host shows them to a table. That's a fast road to nowhere.

So how do you deal with eating out?

Here are a couple of my recent experiences -

Yesterday I had a working lunch at TGI Fridays, so during the morning I went to the list of restaurants on www.dwlz.com and checked what would be the best choice. I took note of four (literally) and had the post-it in my pocket when I drove to Hauppauge for my appointment.

To my disappointment, it seems that Dottie's Weight Loss Zone is way outdated when it comes to TGI Fridays. They don't even offer three of my choices any more. So I went for the fourth, which was more than I would usually have at lunch time - a 10 Points turkey burger, with a side salad instead of fries. I did discard the huge bun altogether to reduce those Points and then I simply ate a lighter dinner later in the day.

Pre-warned is pre-armed!

This evening my wife and I opted for a quiet dinner in Port Jefferson. I had bought a $25 gift certificate to The Village Way for $6 at www.restaurant.com and we had a table out on the patio watching the world go by. It was a nice evening for it and though the food was mediocre and the wait staff inept, it was good to spend a couple of hours with Gill.

I decided before I went that I would have a steak tonight - and I did. I ate the best part of a T-bone and brought the rest home for my daughter's dog. That came with a salad, then baked potato and vegetables. An estimated 12 Points and a guiltless dinner.

Eating out is easy most of the time, proivided there is some planning in advance.