Friday, August 28, 2009

I'M SCREWED!

We have friends from the UK visiting this afternoon. I first met Ian Green almost 30 years ago when we ran a number of major national events for teens in the denomination we were part of. I hooked up with him again in 1994, just after the fall of communism in Russia when formerly oppressed Russian pastors were crying out for some help and teaching in their now thriving churches.

Back then I visited Moscow four times in 18 months and was happy to encourage a great young pastor with a huge congregation.

Anyway, I haven't seen Ian since then. He's in the Bronx for the weekend with his wife and teenage children, whom I have never met, and they're going to have a few hours with us today.

Since we don't have anything too attractive to offer guests with tea or coffee, I figured I'd buy 6 donuts at the local Dunkin Donuts today. That would be enough for our guests and wouldn't leave any lingering to tempt me later.

I ordered my six donuts and was both surprised and dismayed when the manager said, "Have another six on me." He then went on to thank me for being such a good customer (we buy huge quantities every Sunday to serve to the folks at church with their morning coffee)

My initial reaction was, "I'm screwed!"

Trust me, I don't do well with donuts sitting around the place.

However, having thought about it, I do reckon I'm pretty focused right now and I do not expect them to be a problem.

Feel free to ask me!