Tuesday, May 1, 2007

TRYING

It's tough to know what's a good choice sometimes when you're eating out. I've commented here before that Applebees does have a WW section on their menu and we had a good dinner there last night. With several other chains you can go to their website and check on the nutritional content of the items they offer, which is very helpful.

But when you're meeting friends for breakfast at a local diner called - Eat And Get The Hell Out - it can be a challenge to know what's best to have.

My plan was to go for cereal and just in case they didn't have skimmed milk, I purloined my own little carton of 2% from the continental breakfast buffet offered by our hotel and took it with me. The waitress was new. She knew they didn't have fat-free milk but wasn't sure about cereal. Fruit Loops or Frosted Flakes was the choice. I opted for neither.

An egg whites omelette with some veggies in it is generally safe - but not down here in redneck country! I was invited several times to have cheese in it too, but declined. Yet it seems in the kitchen they are incapable of making breakfast cuisine without it. Whatever style any of us at the table ordered, every omelette contained cheese - mine included - and they were fried in enough grease to keep a car engine running throughout the Daytona 500.

Anyway, I had declined homefries or grits and had gone for wholewheat toast - dry. Yes, you guessed it, they can't serve dry toast in the south either!

So I tried, God knows I tried! But the rest of the day I'll be making amends for all that I unwittingly found on my plate before I got the hell out!