Thursday, May 1, 2008

ALL BY MYSELF

My wife was talking to her rheumatologist the other day and mentioned my weight loss. Apparently he was pretty impressed and asked whether I had undegone a gastric by-pass or had a lapband. When she said neither, the doctor was even more gushing about what I have been able to accomplish.

Let's be clear about this though, I may not have had surgical help, but I did not do this alone. Here are a few of the folks I'll always be indebted to -

+ My wife who regularly encouraged me to lose weight as she "needed me around".

+ The folks from WW in bygone days, who made such an impact that I wanted to go back and try again - especially Lynn who was there each of the times I joined and re-joined Saturday morning goups.

+ Fran who led the Monday group that I joined in 2005 and gently encouraged me forward.

+ Jocelyn who took on the group from Fran and continued to guide me towards goal.

+ Lucia who was the warm, welcoming person I saw behind the desk every Monday for more than two years at the Selden Center.

+ All the group members who supported and motivated me.

+ My family and friends who commended me and thus spurred me on.

I may not have resorted to surgery, but I did get a whole lot of help. I certainly did not get to where I am all by myself!