Friday, May 30, 2008

I NEVER REALIZED

Last December I took my wife to see Cirque De Soleil's Christmas Show at Madison Square Garden. It was our wedding anniversary, so we went into the city early, looked at the lights, ate at one of our favorite restaurants and made our way back to the WaMu Theater to take our seats - very good ones too - for the show.

It was shaping up to be a very nice evening out for us to celebrate 38 years of marriage, that is until the usher asked us to make way for the two men who had the seats next to ours.

They were big.

One was very big and he ended up sitting beside Gill and spilling over into her space considerably. She was uncomfortable and I was unhappy. This was not going the way I had planned and I found myself seriously resenting these gents for being the size they were.

It was then that I realized that I had been that person most of my life. I had been the one no one wanted taking the seat alongside them at a show, in a concert, on a plane, at a game, in church or anywhere else for that matter.

That was a wake-up call.

Seeing ourselves as others see (or saw) us is not necessarily pretty, but it reminds me how much I don't want to go back there!