Tuesday, September 9, 2008

WHEN YOU'VE A LONG WAY TO GO

One of the worst things that happened to me on my weight loss journey was achieving the 100lb weight loss mark. Don't get me wrong, on the morning I weighed in at WW and saw the reading on the scale, I was ecstatic. Later that morning I even went along to the lunch buffet at a nearby Indian restaurant and really celebrated.

I know that wasn't the best response, but one meal wasn't the issue. It was the Yes, I did it mentality that messed me up. The problem was that I hadn't done it - I was not at my goal. I still needed to lose 33lb and it would take me another 13 months to get there.

So how do you stick at it for the long haul?

1. Promise yourself you're there until you totally succeed - no matter how long that takes.
2. Never lose sight of how far you have already come.
3. Keep plugging away at the basics - weigh, measure, write down, exercise.
4. Try to connect with someone who had as much to lose as you and who was succesful.
5. Remind yourself of the benefits so far and of how many more are ahead.