Tuesday, December 9, 2008

OPRAH

It's Tuesday night and I'm watching The Biggest Loser. I just heard Bob state that the winner of the first series has regained all the weight he lost. That was amazing.

It reminded me of the news story I heard earlier with Oprah Winfrey recognizing that she had put a lot of weight back on (which I guess her viewers had worked out already).

I'm not sitting here in self-righteous judgement on either of them - I'd rather learn from their stories. And the lesson is ...

Losing weight may be hard, but maintaining weight loss is harder still.

Unfortunately for some people their final target weight is their sole goal, whereas goal needs to be far more than a number on a scale.

Goal is healthy living.

Goal is a lifestyle you can maintain.

Goal is peacefully co-existing with food.

Goal is realizing you haven't made it at all.

Goal is acknowledging that the only way to safeguard your achievement is one wise decision at a time.

Goal is getting the point that you stay slimmer by continuing to do the things you did to get there.

If it is tough for Oprah with a personal chef and personal trainer to help her and the eyes of millions of viewers constantly on her, then it will be tough for us lesser mortals too.

But being overweight was also tough.

So I plan to stay at goal, drawing constantly on all the help that got me here.