Tuesday, December 9, 2008

WHY PEOPLE DON'T LOSE BIG

While I enjoy watching The Biggest Loser - have I admitted I don't like Vicky? - I do get frustrated at the unrealistic expectations it creates in the minds of those trying to lose weight in the real world.

Average weight loss with WW is 0.5 to 2.0lb per week. That is healthy, normal and reasonable.

To shed the incredible amounts contestants lose on TV, some of them will apparently stop at nothing. Check out how season one winner Ryan Benson describes his approach to the final weigh-in -

“I wanted to win so bad that the last ten days before the final weigh-in I didn’t eat one piece of solid food! If you’ve heard of “The Master Cleanse” that’s what I did. It is basically drinking lemonade made with water, fresh squeezed lemon juice, pure maple syrup, and cayenne pepper. The rules of the show said we couldn’t use any weight-loss drugs, well I didn’t take any drugs, I just starved myself!

Twenty-four hours before the final weigh-in I stopped putting ANYTHING in my body, liquid or solid, then I started using some old high school wrestling tricks. I wore a rubber suit while jogging on the treadmill, and then spent a lot of time in the steam room. In the final 24 hours I probably dropped 10-13 lbs in just pure water weight. By the time of the final weigh-in I was peeing blood.”

That's how they pull the numbers!

2lb a week done properly has to be much better.