Sunday, April 15, 2007

PARTY TIME

I had a really good time last night at a friend's 50th birthday party. It was one of those surprise events where you have to lie and deceive so much to keep it secret, you're feeling guilty by the time things get under way. Looking at his face as he arrived, Mike's family had all done a great job of keeping things under wraps.

So if you're trying to be careful, what do you eat when you're going to a dinner party?

Here's my solution, but it only works with a long guestlist. Do not - I repeat, do not - try this if there are only six people sitting around someone's dining room table.

I ate before I went.

Had a full dinner, felt stuffed and had no appetite by the time I arrived at the hosts' home - even though the spread being offered was amazing. There were so many people there that only those sitting near me saw that I spent the whole evening with a couple of diet cokes and some coffee and they all know that I have to be careful what I eat nowadays.

I can positively predict that had I turned up there hungry, I would have pigged out. You would not believe the amount of dishes that had been prepared and man, did they look good!

So, if you're honest enough to admit your weakness and can do so without risking offending your host, eat before you leave home and enjoy all the other benefits of those special occasions while steering clear of the food.