Wednesday, April 18, 2007

TO CARDIO OR NOT TO CARDIO

Monday morning when I was sweating like a pig on the elyptical, I saw a guy appearing on Good Morning America who was touting his latest book, an informed tome entitled - The Cardio Free Diet.

By this stage I had already run six miles on a treadmill and was well into my second mile on this next instrument of torture, so about the last thing I needed to hear was some wiseguy telling me I was wasting my time.

His logic followed two main lines -

1. Cardio does lasting damage to your joints as your knees absorb the impact of jogging or whatever.

2. Cardio makes you hungrier so you eat more.

IMHO, I don't know where he got his facts from for #2, but that has not been my personal experience.

As for #1, carrying around surplus pounds does a number on your knees too, to say nothing of the heart and who knows what else.

I guess this guy will sell books, but he said nothing whatever to convince me that my morning ritual is indeed hindering my health.

As they used to say when I lived in Yorkshire, England, Owt's better than nowt. Which roughly translated means - Something is better than nothing.

So I'll just keep doing my something. It may not be pretty and it may not be pleasurable, but it sure beats sitting around in TV studios criticizing millions of Americans who have become proactive about their health.