Friday, April 20, 2007

THE 'S' WORD

The question has arisen as to whether I was suggesting yesterday that being overweight is sin. Let me clarify, to the preacher who publicly declares that smoking, watching TV, dancing and listening to secular music is sin (yes folks they do still exist!), his eating habits probably fall into that category too.

Of course I'm not that kind of preacher to start with. I have no problem telling things the way they are, but I am only too aware of the fact that we are all a work in progress and we all walk our own unique walk with God.

Much of my own sudden interest in health stemmed from the realization that I need to be relatively fit to do what God has called me to do. I also suddenly became aware of the fact that I couldn't outrun all the risks of morbid obesity for the rest of my life.

So I changed course so that as much as I have control of things, I won't be hindered in doing what I love doing by things that I personally could have averted.

So, let's take the "s" word off the table and simply say for people who believe their lives have a God-given purpose, we should be doing all we can in every way to commit ourselves to his plan for us.