Saturday, October 27, 2007

RECOVERY MODE

I love Saturdays, but I'll admit that they leave me exhausted. After I've spent six hours at Weight Watchers, I go home, change and then go out with our church's mobile soup kitchen delivering hot meals and pantry bags to men living in rooming houses in the area.

So by the time I get done with all that, I'm shot - but it's a contented kind of tired. It has been a good day.

This morning at WW I referred to a scene in the movie City Slickers where three friends on a Wild West experience vacation are chatting around a camp fire. One of them tells the others that his life is actually a mess. He slept with a checkout operator at the supermarket where he worked and his wife had left him. His father-in-law owned the store, so he had fired him. His conclusiuon was that his life was over.

I think it was Billy Crystal's character who interejected that it wasn't over. He talked about how when they were playing as kids, if someone hit a ball into a tree, other players would shout "Do over" and they'd retrieve the ball and start that play again. "Your life isn't over", he said, "it's a do-over."

He could start all over again.

That's what I did when I walked into WW almost three years ago and 133lb heavier and that's what everyone in our Saturday groups has done - started a do-over.

I enjoy encouraging them through this new begiinning!